Text: “Hockey Rinks by Province.” Sportsnet.
Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for one of your DP Language A Language and Literature assessments: the individual oral, the HL essay, or Paper 1 and analyze it accordingly. (This text would not be appropriate for Paper 2).
Some elements of the text to consider:
- The fairly minimal use of language – the only information is the title of the text, the names of the Canadian provinces and territories, the name of the author and the source of the data
- The numerical data given in both numbers and in 3D bar graph form
- The Sportsnet logo (FYI Sportsnet is a Canadian sports media outlet)
- The map which shows the borders of the Canadian provinces and territories but gives no additional information
- The use of light greys in the background and in the map, the blue used for the bar graph, and the black used in other places
- The sans-serif font – modern, fairly neutral in this case