Before analyzing the text make sure to have a look at the following page for a better understanding of how to use the text to help you with your assessments: https://language-literature.com/sample-text-analysis-blog-posts/
Text: “Fodor’s Expert Review Fairmont Hotel Vancouver” https://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/canada/british-columbia/vancouver/hotels/reviews/fairmont-hotel-vancouver-131654
Some elements of this text to consider:
- The IB frequently uses websites for Paper 1 but adapts them by simplifying them. Sections outside of the main article are often removed and usually only one or two images from the website page are kept.
- This text could be categorized as a review or as travel writing since in fact it is both.
- The text is aimed at up-market visitors to Vancouver – this is clear from the type of hotel that the Fairmont is and the amenities available such as the “high-end boutiques including Louis Vuitton, Otto Friedl Watchmaker, Omega, Dior, and Gucci” located in the lobby.
- Consider all of the elements of the review that are aimed at wealthier travellers.
- The review is quite complimentary – for practice you should be able to identify words and phrases in the review you could use as evidence to support your argument about the overall tone of the review.