Text: Narita Airport Terminal 1 first floor
Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for your DP Language A Language and Literature assessments ( Paper 1, the individual oral, the HL essay,) and analyze it accordingly. This text would not be appropriate for Paper 2.
Paper 1: first take a careful look at criteria A and B . Then, consider how you would approach this particular text in light of the requirements of criteria A and B.
Individual oral: Start by looking at criteria A and B for the IO. There are some similarities between the criteria in the individual oral and those in Paper 1. However, the individual oral also requires students to make connections between extracts from a work and body of work. The individual oral must make connections with the global issue that the student has chosen. Consider how this text is linked to different global issues.
HL essay: The HL essay is an in-depth analysis of a non-literary body of work or a literary work the student has studied in class. Imagine this text is from a non-literary body of work and consider possible approaches you could take with the 1200-1500 word HL essay. This could include evaluating connections between this text and the seven central concepts in DP Language A Language and Literature.
Some elements of this text to consider:
- The top-down orientation of the map which makes it easy for travelers to see different sections of the terminal
- The “1F” on the top right indented differently than the other floors and the darker shade of green used to make it clear that this is a map of the first floor of the terminal
- How color is used to differentiate between different elements of the map
- The black circular labels with the corresponding legend at the bottom
- How the maps has faded out parts of Narita airport which are not on this particular map (e.g. the North Wing on the right-hand side, some parts of the legend that are not on this floor of the terminal)