Text: Human Rights Watch. “Break Their Lineage, Break Their Roots”. https://www.hrw.org/report/2021/04/19/break-their-lineage-break-their-roots/chinas-crimes-against-humanity-targeting
Before analyzing the text make sure to have a look at the following page for a better understanding of how to use the text to help you with your assessments: https://language-literature.com/sample-text-analysis-blog-posts/
Some elements of this text to consider:
- The goal(s) of organizations like Human Rights Watch and HRW’s specific goal(s) in publishing this particular report
- Elements of the text such as the social media / sharing links, the Donate Now” button, etc.
- The strong language used throughout the text to describe the treatment of the Uyghurs and others such as the phrase “crimes against humanity” in this first paragraph and “Crimes against humanity are considered among the gravest human rights abuses under international law.” in the fourth paragraph.
- Words / phrases / sentences that call for action such as “Given the gravity of the abuses against Turkic Muslims, there is a pressing need for concerned governments to take strong, coordinated action to advance accountability.”
- The significant amount of detailed information about the situation
- How the information is structured – e.g. the order of sections, the use of headings and bullet points