Text: “I was wrongly convicted and sentenced to death. We need to do more to help exonerees.” Usa Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2021/11/24/wrongful-convictions-help-exonerees/8690984002/
Before analyzing the text make sure to have a look at the following page for a better understanding of how to use the text to help you with your assessments: https://language-literature.com/sample-text-analysis-blog-posts/
Some elements of this text to consider:
- Opinion editorials vary widely in topic and in style. An op-ed written by economist Paul Krugman in the New York Times has a very different style than this op-ed, which is much more personal and is aimed at a broader audience.
- The first few paragraphs of the text give reader background information that is important in understanding the writer’s point of view and arguments.
- The photo helps draw sympathy from the audience, and the image also contrasts with audience’s expectations of someone who was accused of murder.
- The text contains a number of links to other related stories.
- The op-ed ends on a very uplifting / hopeful note.