Before analyzing the text make sure to have a look at the following page for a better understanding of how to use the text to help you with your assessments: https://language-literature.com/sample-text-analysis-blog-posts/
Text: March, Catherine. “Searching for my joie de vivre in the French Riviera.” The Globe and Mail. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/article-searching-for-my-joie-de-vivre-in-the-french-riviera/
Some elements of this text to consider:
- FYI The French Riviera is often depicted as a vacation destination for wealthy individuals. The description in the first paragraph of the article seems to confirm this: “white table finery,” “gleaming chandeliers hang with gilded trim”
- Most of the photos (with the exception of a few interior shots) are of the coastline, highlighting the stunning scenery
- This particular article, as many travel writing texts do, uses the first person.
- This type of article is geared more for a slightly older reader with the money to travel to and enjoy a place like the French Riviera. The sights listed in the article are likely to appeal to this type of traveler
- The polar opposite type of destination might be a place like Bangkok’s Khao Sahn road – historically popular with younger backpackers travelling on a limited budget.