Before analyzing the text make sure to have a look at the following page for a better understanding of how to use the text to help you with your assessments: https://language-literature.com/sample-text-analysis-blog-posts/
Text: “Omaha Beach.” Robert Capa.
Some elements of this text to consider:
- There is a chance, although small, that a photograph shows up on a Paper 1. Regardless, studying photographs is an effective way to improve related analytical skills.
- The image is grainy and is not clear or sharp but in this case it does not detract from the power of the photograph – in fact it add to it. How do these aspects of the photo contribute to its effect on the audience?
- The soldier in the foreground is composed diagonally which adds to the impression of movement.
- The composition (the soldier is closer to the bottom left that to the top right) highlights the movement that he has already made from the ocean to shore.
- Many viewers of the image will know enough about the Normandy Landings to have an understanding that reaching shore did not mean that the soldier was safe.
- You could compare / contrast this image with one on the same topic, such as Robert F. Sargent’s Into the Jaws of Death. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beach#/media/File:Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg