Text: Cover of Young Romance No. 164
Before analyzing the text make sure to have a look at the following page for a better understanding of how to use the text to help you with your assessments: https://language-literature.com/sample-text-analysis-blog-posts/
Some elements of this text to consider:
- FYI this comic was published between 1947-1975 and this particular issue would have been published in the late 60s/ early 70s based on the publication number.
- Consider the social / cultural context of this particular period of time when analyzing the text.
- This comic series was aimed a young girls – what evidence in the cover supports this? (Consider the context of production).
- What is the tone / mood of the text and how this is created through the use of dialogue and visuals?
- Make sure to analyze specific aspects of the visuals – e.g the smug look on the woman’s face in the background, the posture of the woman in the foreground, etc.