Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for your individual oral, HL essay, or Paper 1 and analyze it accordingly.
Some elements of the text to consider:
- The use of the man in the ad and what this may indicate about the audience.
- The way in which the ad emphasizes the man’s bicep. It may be a way to get the attention of viewers and the bicep reinforces the idea of safety / security.
- The use of a limited depth of field which highlights the foreground and softens / blurs the background.
- The expression of the man in the ad and the fact that he is looking right at the audience.
- The height of the camera – looking down slightly on the man and the baby – and the effect this has on the audience.
- The use of font and the lack of capitalization and how these elements are connected to the product being advertised.
- The description of the product and the use of “you” in the text.
- The logo and the website information.