Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for your DP Language A Language and Literature assessments: the individual oral, the HL essay, or Paper 1 and analyze it accordingly. (This text would not be appropriate for Paper 2).
Some elements of the text to consider:
- The audience for this text and the how the language in the text (such “our” and “You”) is aimed squarely at the viewer
- The depiction of war which seems much less violent and dangerous that what the soldiers experienced
- The degree to which the setting (blue sky, grassy open field) accurately represents battlefield conditions
- The forward movement of the soldiers indicate progress
- The fairly subdued color tones