Text: Generally Speaking: The Memoirs of Major-General Richard Rohmer by Richard Rohmer. 113.
Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for your DP Language A Language and Literature assessments: the individual oral, the HL essay, or Paper 1 and analyze it accordingly. (This text would not be appropriate for Paper 2).
Some elements of the text to consider:
- The naming of the chapter – based on a place and date of a significant event in WWII.
- The squadron log entry that opens the chapter.
- The use of the first person “we”
- The use of adjectives in the first half of the extract and their range: “exciting,” “brave,” enormous,” “hard, bloody”, “stressful and exhausting”
- The change in tone from the first half to the second half of the extract