Text: Extract from Lonely Planet Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan. Lonely Planet. 72, 73.
Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for your DP Language A Language and Literature assessments: the individual oral, the HL essay, or Paper 1 and analyze it accordingly. (This text would not be appropriate for Paper 2).
Some elements of the text to consider:
- The purpose of this extract from the text – to introduce the Cancun section of the guide.
- Page 72 gives a textual overview of Cancun. Look carefully at what kinds of detail are included / not included. It does, for example, state that “…this type of mass tourism certainly won’t interest many Lonely Planet-style travelers.”
- The use of descriptive text
- The use of the second-person (“you”) in the text
- The map on page 73 of the state of Quintana Roo where Cancun is located
- The information on the map – major roads and place names, nature reserves, and an indication that a more detailed map of Cancun will follow