Text: Excerpt from “Sex at birth and gender: Technical report on changes for the 2021 Census.” Statistics Canada. https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2021/ref/98-20-0002/982000022020002-eng.cfm
Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for your DP Language A Language and Literature assessments: the individual oral, the HL essay, or Paper 1 and analyze it accordingly. (This text would not be appropriate for Paper 2).
Some elements of the text to consider:
- The general characteristics of a government report (there is a large variety of types of reports) and the extent to which this report follows expectations
- The first few sentences of the introduction which are far less technical and are more literary than one would expect from a government report.
- Elements of the introduction (such as the use of the first and secondperson “we”, “you”) that are less formal than most government reports
- What information is included in the introduction
- Links to social context in the document (e.g. LGBTQ2)