Before analyzing the text make sure to have a look at the following page for a better understanding of how to use the text to help you with your assessments: https://language-literature.com/sample-text-analysis-blog-posts/
Text: American Veterans Center. “Full Interview: Captain Roger Hill.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js4w17uDorc
Some elements of this text to consider:
- FYI a description of the channel: “The mission of the American Veterans Center is to guard the legacies and honor the sacrifices of all American veterans. Through oral history preservation, educational programs and civic events, we pass their stories on to the next generation so that they are never forgotten.”
- Consider the effect of the plain (and stark) black background.
- The whole video has only a few edits and virtually no camera movement. What is the purpose of such a static format?
- What lighting techniques are used and how they make Hill look to the viewer?
- The interviewer is not shown which puts the emphasis solely on Captain Hill
- A surprisingly element is the heavy criticism that Hill directs at the U.S. military for what he depicts as atrocious decisions make in combat theaters. One might expect that this channel might focus on interviewees and topics that are complimentary of the U.S. military and the government but that is clearly not the case.