Text: “NHK corporate information.” NHK. https://www.nhk.or.jp/corporateinfo/
Before you read the “spoiler” bullet points below take a careful look at the text. Imagine it is a text you are using for your DP Language A Language and Literature assessments ( Paper 1, the individual oral, the HL essay,) and analyze it accordingly. This text would not be appropriate for Paper 2.
Paper 1: first take a careful look at criteria A and B . Then, consider how you would approach this particular text in light of the requirements of criteria A and B.
Individual oral: Start by looking at criteria A and B for the IO. There are some similarities between the criteria in the individual oral and those in Paper 1. However, the individual oral also requires students to make connections between extracts from a work and body of work. The individual oral must make connections with the global issue that the student has chosen. Consider how this text is linked to different global issues.
HL essay: The HL essay is an in-depth analysis of a non-literary body of work or a literary work the student has studied in class. Imagine this text is from a non-literary body of work and consider possible approaches you could take with the 1200-1500 word HL essay. This could include evaluating connections between this text and the seven central concepts in DP Language A Language and Literature.
Some elements of this text to consider:
- FYI NHK is Japan’s public broadcaster, similar to the BBC or CBC.
- In general, public broadcasters tend to be a bit more reserved / subdued / dry compared to private broadcasters. Judge for yourself if this is true for this NHK website.
- This is the “corporate information” parts of the NHK news website which has a narrower audience than a regular news part of the website. First or all, consider who the audience is for the English-language version of the NHK news website. Then, think about what kind of viewer would be interested in the information on this particular page of the NHK website.
- Consider how this page is organized – there is very little information on this page but there are a number of links to pages with more specific NHK corporate information.
- The main links are organized in boxes with an image, title (in blue), brief explanation, and a clickable link titled “Find out more.”
- The sidebar has links to press releases and as comments from executives.